Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What Defines Us

While I was there a couple of weekends ago, Jamie and Nathan and I were talking about our large-ish family and how fabulous it is to have. I love that 3/4 of the children who were called forward for VBS prizes were ours. I love that we have this vast network of open arms and ears and hearts, and that in general, we all get along a fairly astounding amount of the time. I love our strong, beautiful women, who laugh and cry and spout off opinions and get ticked off, all in equal measures of passion, enthusiasm and loudness. I especially love that we all have EXACTLY the same laugh. I have never been prouder of anything in my life than I am to count myself among the ranks of our family's amazing women. Unless it's of the time that I dressed as a jailbird at my divorce deposition. That, I'm pretty full of myself over. But I digress, and besides, I did that as an F woman if I did it as anything or anyone.

I love our strong, solid men, who mostly just sit back, shake their heads and leave us women to it, loving us all the while. I love our giant swarm of children, who don't seem to realize or care which child belongs to whom, because we're all one big mishmash of genetic material anyway, and who cares? They're adored by all, they know it, and they really don't look much further than that. Exactly as it should be. I love our gatherings, where no one feels the need to be anything other than themselves. We wear what we want, we say what we want, and we know we're going to be loved and liked every bit as much when the day is over as we were when it began. And I absolutely ADORE that this whole vibrant mix somehow sprung forth from our shy, sweet little MeMe and her ornery charmer of a husband. We have an a-freaking-mazing family. Seriously.

Jamie and Nathan and I were discussing said a-freaking-mazing family, with the rather ambitious motivation of defining it. Jamie called us the giant Midwestern mafia family, which amused both Nathan and I greatly. I liked that image - this big tight-knit, loyal network of people who all had each other's backs, only without the massacres, money laundering and really gaudy jewelry. It worked for me. Then Nathan called it "our big fat Greek wedding." Probably even more on the mark than Jamie's description, and even more amusing. Both images will probably stick with me forever as images of our family.

I told J about this conversation soon after I got home. J has a decorous little family consisting of the prerequisite 2 or 3 aunts, 6 or 7 cousins, a niece and a nephew. The poor man had no idea what he was getting into with his first experience with our family, which involved "Hi, My Name Is" stickers and a ginormous sprawling family tree chart spanning about 2 eight-foot foldout tables. Granted, that was our VERY extended family, most of whom we didn't even know, but still. That HAD to be intimidating.

I couldn't help being curious about how he saw us, which was my main reason for broaching the subject with him. It's all normal to me. Casually bumping into cousins I never knew I had was a not infrequent experience for me in my adolescence and early adulthood, and although it made for good conversation, it didn't seem the least bit strange. It was just the nature of things. Everyone has 5 billion long-lost cousins scattered across the tri-state area. Right? Right??

J thought about it for a moment, then he said something to this effect:

"You guys are the Great American Family."

He spoke of ease, and laughter, and affection, and innocence. Backyard barbecues and birthday parties and Thanksgiving celebrations so huge that none of our homes could hold all of the people we wanted to spend such a special day with.

J sees us. And he gets us. And he's right about all of it.

Did I mention that I can't wait until Labor Day?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual Amie you have such a talent for writing. This blog entry definately stirs up very positive emothions about our family. I couldn't agree with you more. We have a great (I didn't say perfect, but no such thing) family. You are one of the people who make it so special. I love you & who you are. You are a really neat woman.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me clarify that not ALL OF US laugh the same....okay, I don't laugh like Kathy and Christy, I've always maintained that point.....but I do love to laugh. Now on a more serious note, yes....we certainly have a big, wonderful family. I love how we fit into our own "place" in the big puzzle. I love that our children are now complaining about missing the family get togethers that we always had, but haven't done for a while. They really understand what a wonderful gift we have in our family. Also, I see the whole mafia theme.....how scary it is to bring a boy into the mix, and I like that fear....especially now that my youngest is going to be in high school. Somehow that comforts me. I love the memories of being Jim Francis' little sister, or Kathy Francis' little sister....I always felt protected. I love that the young ladies/girls in our family (from Megan on down) think it is so cool that their cousin Jeremiah is a big Marine, and if some guy is messing with them, they become braver when talking about how he would come to their defense. I love how all of the grandchildren care so deeply for their "granny" and loved their grampa, even though the younger ones didn't really get the chance to know him the way he really was. We are so BLESSED, and someday all of our family will remember that and celebrate that wonderful relationship. Love ya, JJ

Anonymous said...

And.............I just had Shelby read your post and our comments.....she's crying!!!!!