Thursday, August 28, 2008

Vacation! Almost.

The Expert and I passed our competency! We are now officially deemed capable of giving a bath and making a bed. Go us.

Am I going to hell for secretly hoping Pooh-Bear leaves the bedrail down? That would result in an automatic fail. Better yet, perhaps they found something on the drug screening we all had to take yesterday. Girlfriend's got to be on SOMETHING.

I would be starting my Labor Day weekend right now, except that I have an honors film class at noon. Mostly I'm taking it because I have to take one honors class every semester to stay in good standing with the Honors Society and keep my tuition waiver. The film class was the best fit with the rest of my schedule. I think it fulfills a Liberal Arts requirement, too, but no worries if not.

It's proving to be rather interesting. Every week, we will watch a new film. Right now it's Westerns, of which I am not a fan. Stagecoach was last week, today it will be Shane. Viewed as part of a genre, which is what we're doing, they aren't bad. But I can't say I cared for Stagecoach on its own merit. It was (and here I am about to offend John Wayne fans the wide world over) hokey. However, I did really enjoy Thomas Mitchell's performance. Even if you don't recognize the name, you know who he is, right? Gerald O'Hara? Uncle Billy? Fantastic character actor. I think I like him so much because he reminds me of Papa.

After that...footloose and fancy free! Except for the knitting and the cake-ing, which I will enjoy, and the laundry and the packing and the pre-trip housecleaning, which...not so much. Clearly, though, I am now far more qualified to do the housecleaning part than I was at this time yesterday.

I think I'll sign up for competencies as early as possible from now on. It's nice to have it out of the way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! BTW, I am a John Wayne fan, but that is mostly because Grampa used to love to watch John Wayne movies. Whatever Grampa liked, JoJo liked....thus I was a football queen. Sitting in the living room every Sunday with Grampa and Uncle Ray, watching Sunday football. No longer do I watch Sunday football, instead I watch NASCAR..........."BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY Let's Go Racin Boys!!!" See ya Saturday. Megan will be there. Love ya, JJ

Anonymous said...

Good for you. When will you know how Pooh Bear did? Or will you? I am the least bit curious. And maybe a little (or a lot) katty! No not Kathy...katty!

I am glad Meg will be here. we should have a lot of fun.

How do I get a name on here? I tried to get one the other day, but it wouldn't.

Love, Mom/Kathy

Danny said...

Congratulations on passing your test!