Friday, August 22, 2008

Getting to Know You

I have now had Miss Piggy for a little over 24 hours. Since I don't have a helmet yet, I've mostly been sitting on her to get a feel for how to balance (a 300-odd pound machine is just a wee bit different than a bike in that regard), and I'm starting to get more comfortable. She is a little tall. We're going to look at lowering her an inch or so, and eventually I may think about shaving the seat down to bring her even lower, but in the meantime I don't think I'll have much trouble.

I'm getting to know the controls...where the blinker is, how to start it up, where to check the oil. But tonight, J had me "riding" it along the sidewalk.

Now, mind you, it wasn't really riding. I was going about 5mph, with my feet walking it along for most of it. The idea was to get a feel for the throttle and the brake. The sidewalk was, of course, deserted...idea being that if I fell either way, it would be onto grass.

And now let us have a moment of silence while all of you imagine me walk-riding a pink scooter down the sidewalk with J coaxing me along..."I've got you! You're fine, I've got you!"

The girl a few doors down thought it was utterly hysterical. I'm really in no position at all to argue with her.

I sent a picture to a friend of mine. She's a "biker chick," with a big powerful crotch-rocket of a bike and a lot of "biker chick" friends, most of whom also have big crotch-rockets (or crotch-rocketeer boyfriends) and a massive sense of their own immortality, which my friend does not...she takes the whole thing very seriously. She duly pronounced the pink scooter to be utterly adorable, and forwarded the picture on to several of those friends, who all think they're quite amazing on their 5-bazillion cc bikes, but who ALL now want a scooter just like my little 150cc that tops out at about 60mph on a good day with a tailwind. A couple have gone so far as to call around to check into the current availability of them. Basically, they have the same chance of getting a pink scooter anytime soon as a sugar cube has in a rainstorm. The dealer we got mine from doesn't even think he can get his hands on any more. When we went to pick it up the other night, he didn't want to let it go. He kept saying things like, "well, you have a deposit on it, so if you want to wait a day or two to pick it up, that's fine with us!" It turned out that he's had it sitting in a visible spot, and lots of people have stopped in to ask about it.

This is going to be LOTS of fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW FUNNY! I have to admit, it looks like something I could possibly be interested in myself......and I don't lik motorcycles. I'd still have to choose the blue one though.....I'd feel like a Mary Kay rep on Miss Piggy! I like the little compartmet on the back to store your belongings in. It would be neat to drive it to and from work except that I would smell like wind instead of Bath & Body Works lotion!!! Enjoy her! Love ya, JJ

Amie said...

Well, they DO come in blue!

I've often thought that where you guys live would be the absolute perfect place to have one. You could even get away with a 50cc there, and those aren't even classified as motorcycles.

You wouldn't smell like wind, though. You'd smell like scooter! Isn't 70-95 miles per gallon worth it, though? :)

Anonymous said...

She is very cute. I like her & have no problem picturing you riding Miss Piggy. The gas mileage is awsome! If Dad worked in Hutch we would definately get him one. Of course it wouldn't be pink.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

I've had many a friend recommend to me Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. So gradually I've assumed enough pieces of that book to get a fair picture, though I would sure be glad to read it for myself.

See you Saturday!

Lucky said...

Hooray for scooters!

I can not recommend rider's training enough. Find your local MSF training facility and take the basic rider's course. You'll probably be able to do the course on your new scooter.

Rubber side down!