Sunday, August 3, 2008

Suck it Up

J recently bought a new vacuum cleaner. It was on clearance, it's quiet, and it sucks up like nobody's business. He is madly in love with it.

I, on the other hand, am somewhat less enamored.

For one thing, it's a vacuum cleaner and - let's face it - I've never been one to go into paroxysms of joy over domestic acoutrements of any kind. For another thing, it resembles a very short Storm Trooper, and I don't particularly trust anything that looks like its entrance should be accompanied by the Imperial Death March. It also weighs roughly as much as I would guess a Storm Trooper might.

While its sucking power compares pretty closely to that of a pool drain, its capacity...not so much. Think "toddler after drinking 2 liters of Hawaiian Punch." That's about how fast it needs to be emptied. Remember vacuum bags? Vacuum bags were great. They would expand to the size of your basic parachute, and would hold weeks' worth of carpet crud.

Yeah. We don't have those anymore. And considering that I have one dog who sheds about 3 entire chihuahuas and the odd pomeranian on a semimonthly basis, and one who is just plain large and long-haired, it would be nice to have a vacuum that can hold more than your average sandwich baggie. I literally have to empty it at least once in every room of the house.

My kingdom for Mimi's fabulous old Rainbow (which I wanted to buy instead of a regular vacuum, but J has an aversion to Rainbow vacuums for reasons known only to God, himself and the Rainbow Company).

Then again...guess who usually does the vacuuming?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need a new vacuum cleaner, but I think we are going to have to do the canister model this time. Our upright still works pretty good, but our canister is falling apart. So it sounds like you're saying that the bagless kind aren't your favorite, I thought it would be great not to have to buy bags, but maybe bags are not so bad.

Okay, we're leaving tomorrow for our mini vacation and taking your sisters with us. Love ya, JJ

Anonymous said...

I think bagless are ok as long as they hold enough to at least do the house, but I was always fine with the bags too. Sounds like J got you a robot friend. Have you named it yet? LOL.

Yes, my wonderful sis & bro-in-law are taking all 3 of my girls. My house will be cleaner & much quieter. Hey Jo, are you sure you don't want to take G. Mary too? LOL.
Love, Mom/Sis

Anonymous said...

Yah, I think I'll pass on the G.M. offer!!!!! I'd prefer someone I can have 2-way communication with, even if it is mixed with a little "attitude"! I'll probably be ready for a vacation from my vacation on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!! WHEW!!!!! What have I got myself into??????? No, it will be fun, I'm not going to stress over the little things. BYE ALL!!! Love ya, JJ