Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Promise Me You Won't Breed.

Disclaimer: The above title does not apply to anyone who is likely to be reading here. It applies to THIS GUY.

At my job, I process orders. To do so, I need specific information, like how much a given item costs. This cost is supplied by a particular level of management, consisting of about five managers. Everyone in the company knows this. EVERYONE. Employees' dogs know it.

Today, I got the following gem of an e-mail:
"Can you please tell me where I can get pricing for such and such item?"

Ok. Honest mistake, right?

Except that it was sent to me by one of the managers who is supposed to be providing the pricing.

Let me just repeat that, since I know you're going to reread it anyway:
It was sent to me BY ONE OF THE MANAGERS WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE PROVIDING THE PRICING. No, he's not new. He's been in that position for several years.

The thing is, there's no way to answer something like that without sounding like I'm mocking him. Which of course, I am, but that's neither here nor there. The sheer idiocy of the question just leaves no room at all for a serious and respectful answer.

"Dear Remind Me Why It Is They Made You a Manager:

In an ideal work environment which, granted, we are all acutely aware that this is not, pricing would be filled in before an order ever comes to me. Each and every time. At least this is what I'm told is supposed to happen, and if things worked as God and the company president intended, theoretically I would have absolutely no idea where pricing came from. Our office being the shining beacon of industriousness that it is, however, I have often had to chase down pricing even though it isn't my job to do so, and I consequently know that it's usually YOU who provides it. So where exactly does that leave us with this? Tell you what, I'll ask the manager for pricing, and get back with you.

No, wait...that's you. I feel really stupid now.

No, wait, I don't. That's you again.

Respectfully,

Not Getting Paid Near Enough For This Nonsense"


No, I didn't actually send that. It was tempting, though. And now I need to stop writing about it, lest I have an aneurysm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, things never work the way they are supposed to, even in the medical field!

Love the picture of the RUBY REDS. Reminds me of my precious little 2 year old, however, she is certainly not 2 years old anymore, nor is she precious! Love ya. JoJo