Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ground Zero

Apparently I can write. Or so my mother tells me.

Actually, she's not the only one. Hence, this blog.

It's not the first blog I've ever had, and it probably won't be the last. But it's the first one I've created primarily to share my thoughts with my very fabulous family. I don't know why that is...they are, after all, my biggest fans. We've been kicking around one of those e-mails where you fill stuff out about yourself, and I keep getting replies about how entertaining mine is, which is where I got the idea to do this. Plus you guys have to read it...you have to put up with my loud mouth at Thanksgiving and all.

Most of you will get why I chose the blog title I did, but for those who are just tuning in, let me to 'splain you. I've been doing clerical work all my life, mostly owing to the fact that as it stands, that's really the best I can do, despite my boyfriend J's odd but extremely persistent idea that I can somehow get a job doing editing (which I find about as appealing as clerical nonsense, so I don't even know why it comes up in the first place) just by walking in and telling some publishing suit how well I can spell. J is a funny, funny man.

Anyway...despite opinions to the contrary, this is it. Bleak, no? Considering that the only reason I'm a cubicle monkey instead of flipping burgers somewhere is that I have insane mad typing skillz, I guess it could be worse and I should be grateful. The thing is, I'm not. I despise it. My mind is frankly worth way more and I'm sick of working for people who are generally stupider than I am, so last year I started back to school, hoping to become a doctor. Yeah, I don't shoot very high at all.

Did I mention that I'm 34 years old? That puts me squarely in the category of nontraditional student, but my age isn't the only thing that makes me nontraditional, not by a long shot.

The vast majority of you will fall into one of the two following categories at this point:
a) those who have changed my diapers
b) those whose diapers I have changed

For those whose diapering I have had no part of on either end of the deal (no pun intended), here are a few more general stats. I am the mother of a ridiculously brilliant and more than slightly anal retentive 8-year old. I am the Cubmaster of his Cub Scout Pack. I make my own wine and, when I have time, I also knit and take some rather decent pictures. Scrapbooking is another strong point of mine, although God knows how long it's been since I've done it. And I read. A lot. Whether I actually have time for it or not.

For those of you new to the whole blogging thing, down at the bottom of each post you'll find a link where you can post comments about what you're reading. I've enabled anonymous comment posting so you don't have to leave an e-mail address or a link or anything (even though an e-mail address won't show up for anyone but me). If you use this option, make sure you sign it with an initial or something so I know who left it.

Go on...you know you want to.

Clearly there's more to come, or I wouldn't have a blog. For now, over and out. Have fun, kids!

SONG OF THE DAY: The Go-Gos, Our Lips Are Sealed

No comments: