Friday, December 5, 2008

Opening Night

S had his opening night tonight!

After a bit of struggle to get him to let his fellow castmembers smear cocoa powder on his face (to make him look dirty...yes, I actually have to FORCE that child to get dirt on him), it all went smoothly. In his words, "awesome!" He's tired, though, and still ready for a hiatus from theatre before he tries out for another production, although his timeline has gone from "a couple of months" to "several weeks." I think that's very wise of him. I was never any good at pacing myself like that, and truth be told, I'm still not, so it's a relief to see that tendency in S.

The play is excellent. I can see why performances sell out. It really is a quality show, and well worth the admission price. I'm not that biased, either...S only has a handful of lines, and most of the lines requiring comedic timing and good delivery belong to other kids. They really pull it off, and I'm very impressed.

In a fit of what I can only chalk up to temporary insanity, I signed up for green room duty tonight. This mainly entails keeping 30-odd kids extremely quiet in about a 25-square foot space for the duration of the show.

Oh, yeah...did I mention that it was OPENING NIGHT? Which roughly translates to "seriously wired children." It didn't go so badly, though. Maybe they were too nervous to set anything on fire.

It transpires that the kid playing the dad in the show has a crush on me, which I've actually been aware of for a couple of weeks now. Nice kid. HUGE flirt, and not just with me. It's all very cute, and not a little bit flattering, considering that I'm over twice his age and old enough to be his mother (which I have pointed out to him several times, including the one where he asked me for my phone number). Suffice it to say that until this evening, it had been a VERY long time since I've had a giggly middle-schooler come up to me and say, "my friend thinks you're really hot!"

Actually, I feel rather old just thinking about HOW long that's been.

S has a birthday party to go to tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. For one thing, there will be laser tag. For another, all of the adults in attendance will be older than I am. At the moment, this is a very, very good thing...while what I said in my last post about really enjoying the company of kids right now still holds true, I'm feeling the need for some grown-up conversation at the moment.

Right after I kick all of their butts at laser tag.

No comments: