Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Spazz

My golden retriever WILL NOT SHUT UP. And she needs to. We have blood drawing competencies tomorrow, and I need to study. But she can't stand the fact that J and S are outside kicking a ball around, and she isn't (the outside part, not the ball-kicking part), so she spazzes, and she wants the entire world to hear about it.

It finally just got to the point where I put her in the laundry room, which I really hate to do, but I also hate to yell at her continuously to shut her piehole so that I can think for two seconds. The laundry room is better. She can be let out when S and J come back inside.

I am in a nasty mood, partly because I've been sick for about a week now. It's making me cranky. The other reason is that I got a B on my first exam. A B! Me!! Actually, most of the class is having a hissy over that exam for one reason and another. Several swear they were graded wrong on it, and at least one of them I'm sure is probably right. I hope she pursues it further and gets her grade raised. The thing is, the instructors have this idea in their heads about why people get certain questions wrong. They think it's because we're required to "think critically," or some such. Actually, it's because they've given us 30 different places from which to study the material without telling us where they actually draw most of the test questions from, the 30 different places are completely without rhyme or reason and impossible to look stuff up in, and even if it did have any sort of organization to it there's really no way we can thoroughly cover all of it during the course of our studying. We don't get reviewed, either, before an exam. We get a piece of paper that says "2 questions will be on phlebotomy, 2 will be on TED hose, etc.," and we're just somehow supposed to divine which of the ginormous masses of information we have been given on each of them might possibly contain the two or three obscure references that might show up on the test. And that's if they're presented anywhere at all. A lot of the time, we're just supposed to have made enough sense of all the chaos that we can make some sort of judgment call on which of 4 correct answers is the "best" one, even if it hasn't actually been specifically covered anywhere.

Yeah. Totally reasonable.

On a brighter note, I was invited to join Phi Theta Kappa a couple of weeks ago! This is a pretty big deal, and I've been waiting for it ever since I joined the Honors Society at school. Needless to say, I'm completely thrilled!

Let's just hope this class doesn't ruin my GPA and lose my membership for me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay my dear little niece, this is the part of "nursing" that becomes difficult.........the test questions. It sounds to me like you have instructors that are RNs and are testing you the way that they were tested. In fact, nursing is more critical thinking than anything. You have to change your mindset in order to get the answers correct. However, it takes some practice to be able to do that. The majority of our questions through nursing school were based on facts and information that we read or received in a lecture, but towards the end and on the State Board Exam, it was all "Critical Thinking". They warned us about that throughout the two years of school and it was hard for me to look at questions and the possible answers and decide which one was best. In fact, I took an extra course to prepare for the State Boards so that I could definitely pass it. When I took the SB, I finished way before anyone else and left there thinking for sure that I failed. I called Mike and told him I know that I failed and I won't take the test again, it is too much stress. Fortunately, I passed and I don't have to do that again. It truly is a "Critical Thinking" career. I think it is more difficult for you because you are so highly intelligent and are more geared to reading and understanding the subject matter, but you're going to have to change that strategy to include applying the knowledge to the situation. Congrats on being asked to join the SUPER SMART GROUP!!!! Hang in there, you'll figure it out. Love ya, JJ