Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nostalgia

Yesterday, S wanted to go out and do something. We asked him what, and he settled on going to Burger King. S is easily amused. The big draw was their ginormous indoor playground, which we of course let him play on for quite awhile.

I had a Whopper Jr. and an Icee. Did that EVER take me back!

I can't remember the last time I had a Whopper Jr. Or an Icee, for that matter. But I do remember what they both represent.

The Burger King, as you guys know, is next door to the church that Mimi used to take me to. We used to go there after church every Sunday. I remember Papa being there ("I just want a burger, Mart! Just get me a burger."),and I can't remember exactly how that used to work, because he didn't go to church with us...maybe we went and got him before going back to Burger King. Or maybe he wasn't actually there as often as I remember. Somehow, though, I have these very vivid images of Papa at Burger King after church with us. I would always get a Whopper Jr. with no onions and frech fries. Mimi, if I remember correctly, got the same. Or maybe she got a regular Whopper. And then sometimes we would go shopping downtown and, later, at the mall. The first time I ever saw a family of Mennonites was at that Burger King. I also have a very strong recollection of a little girl who kept running into the men's bathroom, back out, into the women's, out again, into the men's, and so on. I couldn't imagine for the life of me what would possess her to do such a thing, or why on EARTH she was being allowed to. I was amazed. It seemed like such outlandish, alien behavior, which I guess is why it stuck with me.

Mom used to get me Icees when we'd go to K-Mart (do they even have K-Mart at all anymore?). I think it was kind of a reward for making me schlep around behind her for what felt like hours on end in that boring, boring store. Some of the more prominent flashes I have of being small are of trailing after Mom in K-mart while she picks through the clothes racks, or tosses a new package of those flowers people used to stick on the bottom of the tub to keep from slipping into the cart along with a few dish towels. Every so often, the Blue Light Special notice would come over the loudspeaker. I don't remember her ever going to check out the Blue Light Special. Not a bargain hunter, my mother.

Icees and Whopper Jrs. Interesting what can bring things back to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we still have our K-Mart. You know, when I was a teenager, it seemed like a huge store. Now when I go in there, it is really quite small compared to Wal-Mart. Grampa probably did go to church with you guys from time to time, but maybe he would meet you there, or come pick you up from church and then go to BK. I haven't eaten at a BK in so many years. I never really cared much for the "flame-broiled" taste of their burgers. My fondest memories of BK is from the one that Lori worked at in California. When we went, we'd get in her line and she was wearing the silly BK cap and uniform, always loved their theme song to, "Hold the pickle hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset up, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way, have it your way, have it your way, at Burger King, have it your way!" Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane. Love ya, JJ