Thursday, September 4, 2008

Elucidate

JJ seems to be wondering about the particular certification I'm working on and its specifics. It looks like some explanation is called for. Also, I am SO using "bumfuddled and besmoofed" from now on. And bejinkers. Definitely bejinkers.

This particular certification is a hybrid. It falls somewhere between CNA and LPN. We will be able to do some "advanced" stuff like drawing blood, caring for tracheotomies, inserting catheters and reading EKGs, but we will not be able to put in IVs or administer medication, and we will always work under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Our wider range of skills puts us in higher demand than CNAs, and also in a higher pay bracket. The kicker is that the program was pioneered in this state, and is pretty much only valid here at this point. It is recognized and certified by our state nursing board, but if I were to move somewhere else, I would probably only be hired as a CNA.

We actually will practice drawing blood on each other. Tracheotomies and catheters, not so much. That we do have mannequins for.

No Pooh-Bear again today. We don't know for absolute certain, but indications are strong that she did drop the class. Turns out that Friday was the last day we could drop a class and get a full refund. And thus, harmony is restored to our world.

The Expert and Token Male, being slightly more human than I am, are somewhat sympathetic. Both of them said something similar: they hate to see a person fail at something they really want to do. And I get that. But really, my sympathies are more with her potential patients if she had made it through the program. I wouldn't have wanted her anywhere near Papa. Or all of you guys. Or my child or boyfriend or sisters. It's possible that she would have gotten her act together and learned through trial and error, but it's the error part that would worry me. Not everyone is cut out for everything, and she just doesn't have any business in the medical field at all. I'm not the least bit sad to see her go.

Well, ok, I'm a tiny bit regretful, for the same reason that Danny gave. She made for some top-quality blog fodder. What will I write about now?!

I fully intend to get a decent design up here soon, complete with my blogroll and the like. But for today, I shall leave you with...cute dogs!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, love the picture of the dogs! Also, like the chair they're on, is it leather? I want one!

I knew some of the skills they were teaching you were beyond the scope of practice for CNAs or CMAs here in Kansas. I'm sure that everything that you guys will be certified to do, will help free up the RNs to do a lot of other things that they could be doing, especially in the busy hospital settings. Seems to me that anyone thinking they would like to go into that type of work, should always go your route and get more training and more pay. If they move out of OK, they become a CNA so it wouldn't be useless. In your case, it is a way for you to make your own hours, make some decent money, and still go to school to become a doctor. In fact, some foreign students go the nursing school route first to get a job and continue on into med school. We had a couple from Africa in our graduating class that did that.

Well, I must say I will certainly miss the good stories about P.B. But I won't be surprised if one of the other students ends up filling that role! Love ya, JJ

Anonymous said...

We'll have to come up with something else to talk about for sure.... like how we all had our hands in each other's shirts today or something!

I'm glad she's gone. It makes lab go that much more smooth. We don't have to constantly hear how tiiiiny she is and whatnot. Especially in that voice of hers ... hmm. Yeah. I'm glad she's not been around for a few days. I was dreading class this week.

If I'm not mistaken Illinois has a similar program to the PCT. We're not actually going to read all the details of an EKG but we'll learn what's normal and what's not and how to do them.

I'm spoiled. The EKG's in the ER read themselves and print whatever is going on up at the top of the page.

See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

They are very cute dogs, and so well behaved. At least while they sleep. LOL.
Love, Mom
B.T.W. Tay did a great job cheerleading yesterday. They have a good squad. We will see Brooke next week.

Danny said...

Coooool, I got mentioned in someones blog post. Thanks for that.

Cute puppies. I have a special place in my heart for Beagles. Give them both a scratch on the head from me.

Also...

Are you riding that scooter yet?