Thursday, September 25, 2008

Drama

A week or so ago, I had mentioned in passing to S that he might enjoy acting in community theatre productions. He asked me a few questions about it, but in the end didn't seem overly enthused, and I didn't push the issue.

This morning, he brought me a magazine that publishes a calendar of upcoming local events. He showed me a line about an upcoming audition for "Jack and the Beanstalk," and asked me if I would take him to try out for it. I told him that of course I would, and we even noticed a few other upcoming auditions for plays and musicals that might be casting little boys.

So in a few weeks, we'll be heading to his first audition. Not for "Jack and the Beanstalk," but for "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever."

Here we go!

On one hand, I'm so excited for him! He does love being onstage,and seems to have no issue with stage fright. He looks forward to the summer camp talent show all year long. He's always putting together his own plays and movies in his room, casting his toys in whatever roles he sees fit. This is right up his alley, and I know that community theatre would be such an amazing experience for him. I also know that he's the kind of kid that theatre companies want to work with. He's polite, precocious and well-behaved. He'll have no problem cooperating with the director or memorizing his lines. He has a nice singing voice, too. I think he could do extremely well.

On the other hand, I hate the idea of him not being cast in a production that he auditions for, which will inevitably happen. It makes me feel like my insides are shriveling up to even think about my baby getting rejected. Somehow, I think he'll take it far more philosophically, at least outwardly. But there's this whole inward moral struggle, too...I take such issue with stage moms. This is him, not me...it's something he's asking for and seeking out. I know that. But even so, is it ok to put him up in front of strangers who will deem him either worthy or unworthy? Who may criticize him, and not necessarily gently? Life is pretty much like that in general, granted, but how much of it is ok at this point in his life?

Then again, I don't want to shelter him. I don't want to keep him from getting involved in something that truly interests him, and that could be beneficial in so many ways. There's no question of whether or not I'll support him if this is something he wants to do.

Yes, I know, I'm angsting way too much over this. It's midwestern community children's theatre, for crying out loud. It's not cutthroat Hollywood, or possibly even MORE bloodthirsty New York. Feel free to smack me and tell me to chill.

He'll be fine. He'll be fabulous, even. But I'll be right there with my eyes wide open the entire way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it will be a great experience for him. Even if he doesn't get a big part the first time. The community theater did Fiddler On the Roof this year and it was fantastic for a town the size of Hutch. A lady I work with was the Fiddler, no speaking parts, but she played it so well. Her grandaughters played village people, didn't get the main parts they wanted, but they had fun. One of the grandaughters got to play Virginia in "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause". So they don't always get the best parts, but it is fun for them......but LOTS of work. He'll be good at it and he is resilliant, so he will bounce back from rejection. I know what you mean though, there is no job more tough than being a mother.....too much emotion and possible heartache involved FOREVER and EVER! Love ya JJ

Anonymous said...

....

There's nothing wrong to in letting him try once, twice, or even three times. As many times as he wants. As long as you remember it's what he wants and not what you want ... within reason :) but he seems to be a really great kid so I doubt you'll have those other problems.

Jenn