Saturday, July 5, 2008

Meanderings and Goings On

Happy 4th of July weekend, guys!!

It sounds like a good time was had by all yesterday - the kind of 4th that J and I were in the mood for. I'm jealous. We didn't end up doing a lot. We went to see the new Indiana Jones, and were both pretty disappointed with it. The consensus was that it was just really, really lazy and we can't believe Harrison Ford agreed to do it. Completely two-dimensional character development, which is too bad because the plot (if they'd had one) could have been really good.

Then we rode around the neighborhood on J's new scooter. Yes, he got his the other day! It's silver and pretty, in a manly sort of way. It's definitely a man-scoot. Whereas mine is...not. Mine is on back order, but we put a deposit down on it and I should have it sometime next month.

In the evening, we grilled steaks, which were just preposterously good, and we watched 50 First Dates while I had a last hurrah with a pint of Haagen-Dazs (why it's the last hurrah, I'll come to in a minute). Then we moved out to the back patio where we let other people spend money on the fireworks they were shooting off while we watched them for free. And I ate more Haagen-Dazs. Good times.

The reason the Haagen-Dazs is the last hurrah is because I started a new diet today. I'm doing South Beach because I know it works for me when I actually DO it, and I really do lose quite a bit of weight over the course of a few weeks.

S is at Disney World. With his father.

And his father's new girlfriend.

Yeah, I could go on a whole tirade about that. It's not the girlfriend herself that I'm having a conniption over. It's the fact that I had to ASK The Ex who was going with them, or he wouldn't even have told me. And call me crazy (people often do, so I'm used to it), but I think it's sort of my business if Daddy's new girlfriend is going halfway across the continent with my son. I do NOT appreciate being left out of the loop.

So the presumption is that if she's at Disney World with her new beau, it's likely somewhat serious, and at any rate, S is being exposed to her whether it's serious or not. Therefore, the time has come.

I've said to Mom for a long time that if The Ex ever gets serious with someone, I WILL be sitting down to have coffee with her. Not to warn her off of The Ex. That would be tacky, for one thing, and the women of our family are nothing if not classy (thanks for raising your kids right, Grammy!) For another, she'd never in a million years listen to me, nor should she. So there's no point.

It won't be to establish my territory as Mom. That's better done through a nice little discussion with The Ex about the stepparenting boundaries J and I have, and the fact that I fully and completely expect the same from him. She doesn't get a vote there, so that's not it either.

The point will be to establish a rapport with her. If she doesn't see me as the enemy, she'll be far more likely to treat my child well. Period. That's my ulterior motive. Sinister, isn't it?

The thing is, though, as much as I understand that it's not about competition, and as much as you couldn't PAY me to ever try to take her new boyfriend away from her...*shudder*...I don't want to be this pudgy when that meeting happens. It's a girl thing. Cellulite is in direct inverse proportion to confidence. In other words, the smaller my butt, the more confident I'll feel. Not that I of all people have any issues with confidence, but every little bit helps, right?

So here we are on Day 1 of the Meet the Chippie Diet. Wish me luck and better thighs (which are really the same thing in so many situations, anyway).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great way to spend 4th of July. I can't wait until I have a deck or front porch that we can sit out on and enjoy other people's lives....I'm somewhat of a homebody these days. Although, it was definitely great to get together with the family at your mom's house. I even managed to stay awake until midnight that night, which doesn't happen very often these days.

I certainly understand about the diet and nasty cellulite. I would love to lose about 10 pounds, but would be ecstatic to lose much more than that. But at this point in my life, that type of goal isn't realistic, so I'll stick with 10 pounds. Bottom line is if I could get rid of the fat upper arms, the fat around the upper hips, and the fat around the upper thighs (am I any different from most women?), then I'd be satisfied (notice I didn't say happy, not sure I could ever be happy about my body). BTW, in case your grandma happens to read this......the smaller she gets, the more she notices how big her children (namely Jim and I) get and doesn't mind pointing it out (as if we don't notice)....so I'm always trying to take care of the excess. I have a Tony Little's Gazelle now and I actually don't mind getting on it and doing a little workout, but can only go 15 or 20 minutes.....it's better than no minutes!

You are handling the new girlfriend in a very mature manner and I think it is the right thing to do. I was thrilled when Kerry was dating Karen, I liked her and new that she would be fair when it came to Megan (she used to babysit her before your mom & dad had the daycare). The fact that I knew her before Kerry did, really helped me to not have any problems with that relationship.

I guess I've gone on and on too long, as if this is my blog. Gotta get ready for church.

Love ya,
JJ

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you JJ about our tiny mother. She may not feel as free to comment bluntly to me Yet, but I see it coming. At least I feel she is dancing around it with little comments. I'm pretty sure the comments will become a little more direct in the future. If you read this Mom, don't be offended. It's just the truth as we see it. You have to remember that one thing children crave from their mother is her approval & her words are VERY powerful. I was hoping to get the treadmill yesterday or should I say I was hoping Bob & Mike would bring it. I don't think they are too excited about it. Anyway, I know I need to loose weight, but I guess I'm not motivated enough yet.
Love, Mom/KC